Friday, June 22, 2007

Heroes from a Small Planet



I remember that when I was in 2nd grade, I wanted to become a teacher. Now, that I know what I know, I wish I could have become a social entrepreneur. Maybe I still can. It is my hope that I still have time to hatch my next business endeavor, and that it will surely contribute positively to social change.

Meanwhile, I am hoping to catch the
Heroes from a Small Planet Film Fest
--stories about individuals whose ideas leap beyond charity to find systemic solutions to poverty, education, health and social justice.

Check out volunteer doctors of project HOPE--providing medical services on board a boat that coasts the far-flung areas in Ecuador; the Play Pump in Africa--where inventor Trevor Field came up a children's merry-go-round that pumps clean, safe drinking water from a deep borehole every time the children start to spin. Read about Dr. Sugata Mitra from India. He set up an experiment to provide poor children with free, unlimited access to computers and the Internet. And of course, Room to Read, libraries and literacy education programs (started in Nepal and has spread "faster than Starbucks" to South East Asia) by ex-Microsoft biggie, John Woods, who has committed himself and his corporate know-how to his non-profit.

How can we change our world today?

1 comment:

yasmine said...

I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate blogs and websites like yours that dedicate time and effort to promoting eco awareness :)